Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, April 15, 2011

7 weeks in Honduras!


My first time milking a cow, I drank some unpasteurized milk as well, so frothy and delicious! I have so much more appreciation for farmers (campesinos) and their livelihood, I definitely have a lot to learn here.

Washing clothes by hand in the pila (a concrete well/reservoir where we store water. We have no running water and the pila water needs to be rationed throughout the day). I've never encountered a better arm workout.

This is our health group! H-18 Salud has 17 people from all over the U.S., we range in age from 22-29 and have diverse work backgrounds. Here we are receiving the key to the town of Villa de San Antonio from the mayor. We have been doing field-based training in this town the last few weeks. We will spend 6 weeks here helping the community with various health projects and improving our Spanish and health knowledge.

One of the charlas (lessons) I gave about puberty and anatomical changes. The kids (boys aged 9-11) were so cute and bashful and we had fun making the drawing of "Mario" change as he hit puberty.

2 comments:

  1. Tricia! I love reading about your experience in Honduras; it's really interesting to see how PC training differs from country to country. Do you know what your site is yet? Any preferences? I'm jealous that you milked a cow! Hopefully I'll get to do that in the near future. I'm also in the campo, but surrounded by lots of major coffee fincas, you can't drive anywhere without seeing rows upon rows of coffee/cacao. Yesterday I got to process soy and make milk and chorizo, yummy stuff! I highly recommend adding vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and, strangely, clove pepper to hot soy milk : ) Can't wait to read more about your journey, lady! P.S. Your charla on puberty looks precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia love! You look like a pro teaching. Glad you're enjoying the times there =)

    ReplyDelete