Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A MasterCard List...

Well it’s been 2 months in country, and I’ve managed to have more excitement in these past two months than perhaps in my whole life.

A short recap:

3 visits to the hospital (PC health system is phenomenal, I feel grateful to have this wonderful of coverage while I’m down here)
1 car accident (drunk drivers are never a good thing, thank goodness all my family escaped without a scratch—luck was definitely on our side)
1 crazy taxi driver that grazed me while fighting his way through traffic in the market
2 times I’ve been on TV, once in a news segment on Peace Corps volunteers in our town, once in a music video for a live band
16 the number of people my family was able to fit into a pickup truck to go to the bañario (pool)
2 clowns (yes, full dress and makeup) that asked for money on the bus
5 times I’ve cooked (or been allowed to cook) and help make food
4 cows that I’ve milked
6 charlas (lessons) that I’ve given in Spanish to Hondurans aged 6 to 30
15 hours (estimate) that I’ve spent hand-washing my clothes
52 mosquito bites that I currently have, and counting (if anyone has any remedies or suggestions, I’m all ears. I will rub garlic all over myself if that would help repel them!)
20+ the number of children in my town that regularly greet me as “profe”, short for “professor” or know my name and ask how I am/say “hello” in English
$3 a day, my current salary, soon to bump up to $7/day once I am finished with training. Think of me every time y’all get your chai or coffee for the day!
10 letters and cards I’ve received, keep ‘em coming!
Countless: number of times I’ve felt so grateful for the privileges I’ve had in my life and for this opportunity to mejorar (better) the lives of those here in Honduras

Great books I’ve finished/am reading

The Alchemist (fantastic book and wisdom on finding your path in life)
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters J.D. Salinger (great prose, lots of interesting connections to Asian literary influences and theater/arts)
Catch-22 (just started)

Awesome music I’ve been introduced to

Come Se Mata un Gusano – Grupo Santa Fe; one of the top songs from the past few years in Honduras, got to watch this band live and dance punta!
We No Speak Americano – the Spanish remixed rendition. Youtube it! It’s all the rage here :)
Amos Lee – awesome singer/songwriter
Digable Planets and Buena Vista Social Club – thanks to the awesome media sharing between PC volunteers, I’ve been introduced to lots of great new music. Suggestions are always appreciated! Or mixed CDs should you have time to make and send one ☺

As always, I’d love to hear about your lives and see pictures. Congrats on the many happy things coming up for people: graduation, college acceptances, engagements, new jobs…so proud of all my friends and family!

Hasta pronto,

Tricia

2 comments:

  1. Love the update! Will write soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you used to think milk came from the local supermarket and next thought chocolate milk came from chocolate cows?

    Keep up with the updates. Love Dad & Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete